Tuesday 2 October 2012

Sukiyaki

I have tried Sukiyaki from few Japanese restaurants and they are always very salty. I wonder why they like to make it so salty? After a few tries I stopped ordering this dish at the restaurants. Not too long ago, I chanced upon this online recipe and thought I could give it a try since I am able to adjust the level of saltiness to my liking. Surprise me! It is very delicious and not salty, definitely a keeper! This is why I like home-cooked food, my kind of less-salty Sukiyaki ;)


Ingredients
1/3 packet of sukiyaki or shabu shabu frozen pork
1/4 tbsp oyster sauce
Pepper
1/2 yellow onion or 1 red onion (sliced)
3 garlic cloves (minced)
1/2 carrot (thick slices)
1 potato (wedges)
1 pack enoki mushroom (aka golden mushroom)
Spring onion
Cornflour

Sauce
2 cups water
1 pk of dashi powder
1/4 tbsp oyster sauce
1/4 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tsp mirin
Dash of sesame oil
Dash of chinese cooking wine
Dash of pepper

Methods
1. Season the pork with oyster sauce and dash of pepper.
2. Prepare the vegetables.
3. Heat pan or pot with little oil and saute onion and garlic til fragrant.
4. Add in the pork, carrot and potato and fry till pork is slightly browned.
5. Prepare the sauce by adding all the seasoning into the cup and pour into the pan.
6. Bring the sauce to boil, cover with lid and lower the fire.
7. When the carrot and potato turn soft, add in the mushrooms.
8. Taste the sauce and add more seasoning according to your preference.
9. Thicken the sauce with cornflour and garnish with spring onions.

Notes
1. Frozen pork sukiyaki or shabu shabu are available in the supermarket, I will usually choose the pork belly part of the meat. A packet costs between $7.50-$7.90. It is actually inexpensive since I only use 1/3 packet for 2 person's share.
2. Recipe is modified from  http://munchministry.com/recipe/japanese-soy-sukiyaki-pork-stew/

No comments:

Post a Comment