Sunday 16 March 2014

Molten Lava Cake

I have been hesitating for very long before I attempted to bake this super sinfully-good dessert. Not so much as I am afraid of the extra calories but the heatiness of chocolate is deterring me. Yesterday I gave in, just want to see how difficult it is to achieve the flowing lava inside the cake and to my surprise it is very easy to make. The main idea of this chocolate cake is to make sure that it is underbake so that the center part is uncooked and flow out like hot lava. So if you fail the first time, don't let that stop you. Simply adjust the timing and you will get it.


I reduced the recipe to halve so that I could try it using my air fryer which is older model and having a small capacity. Air fryer recipe is originated from http://www.ourprincessdana.com/2013/12/cooking-with-air-healthier-choice.html. Oven recipe can check from www.noobcook.com

Ingredients (yields 2 ramekin size)
50g dark chocolate (use chocolate bar and break into pieces or compound chocolate chips from baking store like Phoon Huat)
50g unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
1 egg
25g castor sugar
10g self-raising flour

Methods
1) Melt chocolate and butter using microwave.
2) Beat sugar and egg until frosty and pale with electric whisk.
3) Pour melted chocolate and butter into batter, add flour and mix well with a spatula.
4) Grease 2 ramekins with melted butter and pour the batter. It shouldn't exceed 3/4 full to allow space for expansion. For my standard size ramekins it didn't quite fill up to 3/4.
5) Bake at 180 degree C for 7-8mins using a pre-heated air fryer.
6) Remove from air fryer and leave it to cool for 1-2mins before removing using a knife to loosen the edge.
7) Serve hot with icing sugar or ice-cream.

Such a pity that I couldn't capture the photos nicely due to the fast melting ice-cream, couldn't even see the flowing lava. Next time it shall be ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment