Sunday 16 March 2014

Schnauzer Cake

Two of my friends have adopted mini Schnauzers dogs months ago and last Saturday was my first time meeting them (the dogs) at a dog cafe. One of my friends' birthday is approaching so I have decided to bake a cake for him. Since we are all dog-lovers so naturally I wanted to design the cake with some dog elements. Quite challenging for me since it was my first trial piping a dog design. I baked a coffee sponge cake and whipped up kahlua cream as the filling and topping. Here's the Schnauzer cake for my friend.


Recipe of coffee sponge with kahlua cream could be found in my earlier recipe (http://yukiecody.blogspot.sg/2013/08/coffee-sponge-with-kahlua-cream.html), I used a different flour brand and added much more kahlua this round and next time I want to add rum perhaps LOL. To pipe the dog design you will need to separate your cream into 2 portions. With a much large portion uncolored for frosting and some to pipe the muzzle part. Color a small portion of cream with black food coloring to achieve grey. Transfer cream into piping bag/ ziplock bag and without the need of any piping tip just snip off the tip of the bag and you may start your pipe. I used 3 slices of strawberries for ears and tongue, 3 chocolate chips for eyes and nose and half a marshmallow as muzzle (fully covered by the white cream in the picture). As for that bone shape biscuit, it was actually a dog treat.

Cake frosted without the dog design yet, I kind of like it simple just like this. Without frosting the sides, just the filling and spreading a layer of cream on top. This frosting design is using a spatula to do dab-n-pull in circular motion from working towards the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment