Tuesday 30 April 2013

Mixer Saga

I was window shopping at Tangs Vivo last Thursday and saw Bosch is having a promotion on their mixer bringing down the usual price of ProdiMixx46 model from over $200 to $179. The machine comprises a 550W motor, plastic body and bowl with metal dough hook, beater and whisking attachment. I would say is pretty decent for a compact beginner machine.


Cool, maybe is time to upgrade my $29 Sharp mixer. My mixer is still working but I dislike the metal beaters that rust whenever there's presence of moisture. It is pretty irritating although you can clean off the rust stain easily. Without delay, I shared the sale information to my group of baking friends and many agreed that it a good deal. Some suggested me to get a higher end model like Kenwood if I want to make bread. No harm checking out the Kenwood models right? Most likely I won't be tempted as they are just too pricy.

My current $29 Sharp mixer

I went to Best Denki to search for a wider range of mixers and saw the love at first sight mixer, the super retro Kitchen Aid <3 This mixer has always been my dream machine, I am a Retro/vintage geek so this machine fits perfectly but the price is still over my budget at $688 after much discount from the usual price of $899. Take a look at these photos and tell me they are not your dream machine, check out the sexy curvy body and the hot red dress?! Kitchen Aid Artisan series feature a 325W direct-drive motor with a 5 quart stainless steel bowl.It has a 10 speed solid-state control and the machine comes with stainless steel flat beater, dough hook and wire whip and a pouring shield. 1-year warranty and machine is USA made.Why is the motor wattage so small for that kind of price? The things I like about this machine so far is the design, stainless steel attachments and it is made in US. No way to compare this 325W with higher Kenwood range (800-1,400W). But it is comparable to Kmix of 500W as Kmix's motor is at the back hence requires higher wattage to drive the motor. Kitchen Aid's motor is directly on top of the bowl which makes it electrical-friendlier.


Best Denki was having a demo counter of Kmix, a pretty model of the Kenwood range that seems to look somehow like Kitchen Aid but not exactly. The salesman was promoting the Kmix and currently they are having discount of 10% bringing the original price of $799 to $719 with an additional flexi-beater and a dozen of twelve cupcakes. The 3 colors (yellow, blue and orange) didn't leave much impression to me, I was more attracted to the Barcelona color of Kmix which is not on the demo counter but having a discount at $699. All Kmix are having the same features of die cast aluminium body, 500W motor, stainless steel 5 liter bowl. The unique fold function allows the bowl to revolve using a 2.5 turns revolution mixing action to perfectly incorporate ingredients without losing air, which is important in baking mixtures. Each machine is packed with a balloon whisk, the signature K-beater, and a strong dough hook, splash guard, as well as a silicone spatula for scraping down the bowl. But, it is now made in China. It used to made in UK, used to...history. Those days when Kenwood machine was able to last at least 20 years and pass down to the next generation....you know... history.






On last Thursday, my mixer budget was $200. Yes, you heard me correctly (budget for last Thursday). So although tempted to buy a new machine, I didn't get any on that day.

I went home empty-handed and told my hubby about the whole issue from Bosch to Kitchen Aid to Kenwood. Hubby was analyzing if I want to get a machine might as well get a pretty looking one to showcase next to the dining table. He is right, my kitchen has no space for a permanent display set especially when the higher end has a stable heavy body to support the movement. Now, he got me super tempted.

On Friday, I brought hubby to Vivo City to check out those that I have visited. He left the decision to me and due to the budget has suddenly increased from $200 to $700 (a huge jump), I need to be more careful with what I am going to invest. Again, I left Vivo City empty-handed.

Saturday, I went to Causeway Point Courts and they were promoting Bosch series. The salesman bite on the fact that Bosch is made in Europe (Russia) hence it is much better than Kenwood. At that point I have no intention to get a Bosch, my mind is on Kenwood or Kitchen Aid hence I didn't stay long to listen to him.

Sunday, I started to read up more about these machines from the internet especially on reviews. Many has the same concern on Kitchen Aid that its low motor wattage is unable to handle dough but some insisted the same machine is able to do so. Many do agree that the Kenwood machine is definitely a better deal being cheaper in general and a higher power excels compared to Kitchen Aid. So besides Kmix, I also look into the models like Chef, Major and Prospero. Prospero is selling at $449 at Courts and it comes with many attachments like blender, grinder, juicer if I remember correctly. I was on the verge of buying but e-braked by my friend who told me she got that model and it gave her so much headaches that she topped up the price difference and upgraded to a Kmix machine. Again, Sunday was not a shopping day for me.

Arrggghhh this is driving me crazy. I didn't even think so much when it comes to buying a bag of few hundreds, why do I need to go through these for a mixer? I don't understand myself @_@

Ok here comes Monday! I have decided not to be so petty with cash, just pay for one pretty fellow and let it sit nicely besides the dining table. Since I wanted a pretty fellow, of course I will choose Kitchen Aid Artisan for its sexy red hot babe. Again, I asked hubby to go to Vivo City. Without any hesitation I told the salesman to get me a new red Kitchen Aid. We opened up the box to check the condition and everything seems alright except the white coating of the beater and hook seemed to be peeling. While we were checking, the salesman in-charge of mixers came over and offer his assistance. He asked me whether I have made up my mind for Kitchen Aid. I told him yes and he said alright otherwise he would recommend me to go for Kmix. He told me not to drop Kitchen Aid's beater and dough hook as they were cracked and cannot be used anymore. Oh gosh! That's a nightmare for me. I am most clumsy when I cook or bake. Asking me not to drop anything is as good as asking me not to eat. Haiz, I held back my wallet again...

No, I didn't go home empty-handed this round :)

Here is my machine...





No comments:

Post a Comment