Wednesday 19 December 2012

Caramelized Onions

Caramelized onions are sweet, rich and soft, perfect as a topping for steak, chicken or pizza with cheese. Who is that fellow who is able to turn this pungent raw onion into such a sweet topping? Thunderous applause for you.

I came across this at Morgan Fields, Star Vista when I ordered their Sirloin steak with caramelized onions. It was so delicious that I actually ate up the very last bit of the onion. Of course the steak was good too, their food and customer service left a very good impression. Back to the onions, the look of the onions doesn't appeal to me. Really, not at all. Can you imagine a spoonful of dark brown mass on top of the brown colored steak? You got it? Brown and brown, hmm...the color combination is really not so eye-pleasing but once you tasted it, hooked is the word. Yes I am hooked to the dish especially the caramelized onions so I really want to try making it. It is actually quite easy to make but you need patience to stand in front of your stove stirring the pot of onions like a witch. Hahahaha....whenever I need to standby my stove stirring food to prevent burning with a wooden spatula, I thought I look like a witch cooking a pot of amazing stuffs :P 

Ingredient
2 large onions
1 knob of unsalted butter
Salt
1/2 tsp sugar

Method
1. Peel and slice onions into thin strips.
2. Melt butter in a pot.
3. Add onions and dash of salt, on med-high heat cook and stir constantly until onions turn translucent and browning starts.
4. Switch to low heat, add sugar and continue to stir constantly until they turn brown color. This will take about 30 mins depending on the amount and heat used.
5. Cool completely and transfer to a jar. The onions can keep up to a week in the fridge.

Tips
1. You could also add black pepper, herbs to make your onions more flavorful. But for round one, I would suggest the basic because it already tastes very good.
2. I used non-stick pan so that washing will be a breeze after cooking, I don't have to spend time scrapping the brown stains.

No comments:

Post a Comment