Sunday 2 December 2012

Zesty Orange Cupcakes

 Lovely citrus smell of orange filled the whole house on a Sunday morning. I never fancy cupcakes as they are usually too sweet but this is different, I love the orange fragrance and they are not too sweet. Yes that's the reason why I am recording this recipe so that I can make more.

CUPCAKE
Ingredients
150g softened unsalted butter
110g castor sugar
3 beaten eggs
150g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Zest from 1 big orange
2 tbsp orange juice

Methods
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy using a mixer.
2. Slowly add in the beaten egg and continue to mix well.
3. Sift in the flour, baking powder.
4. Add in zest and orange juice and mix well.
5. Half filled the cupcake liners with batter.
6. Bake at pre-heated oven at 160 degree for 15 mins or until golden brown. Use a skewer to test for readiness.
7. Remove from the baking tray to cool on the rack.

Notes/ Tips
- Recipe was modified from Cupcakes & Muffins.
- Original recipe calls for 150g which is too sweet. I have reduced to 110g as my juice extracted was sweet too, the result tasted just nice. You might wish to adjust accordingly.
- Recipe recommends 180 degree for baking but I have reduced to 160 for my oven. I used top & bottom heat with fan mode.
- Use a zest grater to obtain zest for the orange. I have tried other graters that can't even grate the orange, simply need the right tool for this.

ICING
Ingredients
150g frosty whip powder
135g liquid (Balance cold juice from one orange + cold water)
2 tbsp orange marnier
Little orange coloring gel
Orange zest & silver/ pearl dragees (decoration)

Methods
1. Pour all ingredients into the mixer bowl and beat till texture is stiff enough for piping. When you lift up the beater, the mixture will stay on it and not dripping wet.
2. In a piping bag, cut a hole at the tip and insert Wilton nozzle 1M. Secure the nozzle and bag with a little scotch tape. You can use other nozzle as well, there are many patterns for cupcake icing.
3. I left my piping bag inside the fridge while waiting for my cupcakes to be cooled.
4. On a baking paper, start to pipe a few flora until you obtained a smooth icing flow before you start to pipe on the cakes.
5. Beware that the icing will turn too soft to pipe after sometimes, hence finish up your piping at one go.
6. Decorate the top of the icing with orange zest or dragees.
7. Keep the decorated cupcakes inside the fridge and bring them out 5-10mins before serving.

Take a look at my new toy! A bake-and-carry cupcake tray! I baked on it, piped on it and carried it around ;) Love it, great for small gathering as it allows twelves cupcakes only.  Compact and practical.

Acknowledgement
Thanks to Elaine and Molly for their patience to answer my baking questions.Muacks!


No comments:

Post a Comment