Monday 3 December 2012

Har Lok 虾烙

This is one of the popular Chinese New Year dishes and needless to say, it is very juicy and yummy. Finger-licking good will be a perfect description for this dish. My mum doesn't know how to cook this so I only had my chance to try this when I was in my late 20s. Hahahaha, I was like a mountain tortoise then. Har is Cantonese is prawn and Lok means fry, so in English is a pan fry prawn dish. Har Lok is sweet tasting and a little spicy, the color is dark because of the soya sauce used which is a must for Har Lok. There are many different ways of cooking this dish, for one with more gravy ketchup & worcestershire sauce are added. For a drier version with lesser seasoning, here it is.

Truly enjoyed this Har Lok dish and I took quite sometimes to finish them. After eating the prawns, I enjoyed eating the caramelized onions too ;)

Ingredients
8-10 medium-large tiger prawns (trimmed, deveined, leave head, tail & shell intact)
Salt & black pepper
3 garlic cloves (minced)
1 red onion (chopped)
1/2 red chilli (sliced)
Handful of curry leaves (discard stems)
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tsp dark soya sauce
1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (I used hua tiow)

Method
1.  Marinate the prawns with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil in pan and saute onion until it turns slight brown and fragrant. Add in garlic and fry for awhile. Followed by chilli and curry leaves.
3. Add in the prawns, turn to the other side when the bottom turns red.
4. Add in the soya sauces and cooking wine. Give a few good stirs and dish out once the prawns are cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment